Effective learning is active, not passive. Brilliant helps people around the world master concepts in math, science, and engineering by solving fun, challenging problems. Over 6 million members have learned from our community wiki and subscription courses. To understand more about our approach, read our principles and testimonials.
We are looking for a Director of Operations who can lead business, finance, and office operations, and proactively remove points of friction. You will be joining a passionate and experienced team of entrepreneurial-minded people who are working to make a meaningful impact in the world.
This position reports directly to the COO. If desired, there are opportunities to advance to Chief of Staff.
This is you:
- Confident about...
- taking on a versatile role and learning new skills
- rapidly absorbing context from those around you
- adapting quickly and effectively to unexpected changes
- making decisions using quantitative and qualitative data
- Exceptional in your...
- synthesis of complex information
- numeracy (at a minimum, Excel fluency)
- attention to detail
- Enthusiastic about...
- working in a fast-paced startup environment
- automating processes and increasing efficiency
- making people's lives easier
- Brilliant's product and mission
- Business and finance operations
- Tracking key business metrics
- Financial modeling and budgeting (with the COO)
- Enhancing inter-team information sharing
- Managing payroll, bookkeeping, invoicing, and vendor relationships
- Special projects
- Exploring new business opportunities (partnerships, international expansion, etc.)
- Gathering operational data (team efficiency, impact of vacation policy, etc.)
- Managing short-term projects and experiments
- Planning and executing moving the office
- Office operations
- Planning team events, including off-sites
- Scheduling job candidate interviews and helping on-board new employees
- Managing vendors (food, insurance, internet, etc.) and ensuring distributed tasks get done
- Organizing operational information and files
Why join Brilliant?
Brilliant has a mission you can get behind. We’re a company that’s helping to bring learners from all over the world together and create a platform on which they can excel, learn, and contribute.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits – we pay 100% of the premiums
- Equipment budget for computer and peripherals
- Free lunch
- Weekly happy hour
- Flexible vacation time
- Fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator with snacks and drinks
- Sponsorship for conferences and professional development
- A stimulating work environment and a chance to change the world